You took a cool photo of an awesome street vendor hot dog and you want to share it, but you’re on 3G and your phone has an 8 megapixel camera. Or worse yet, you took a panorama that’s like 60MB.
The iOS photo editor has a crop tool, but no resize tool. You could install an app to resize the image, or you could follow these easy steps:
- Open your awesome photo in the photos app.
- Take a screen shot by pressing the power and home button at the same time.
- Navigate to the screen shot in the photos app.
- Crop the iOS user interface and black bars off of the photo.
- Share your new, much lower resolution photo. It yields ~250KB square photos and ~100KB panos on my iPhone 6.
This works, but it’s terrible
- The screenshots are PNGs. PNG is a terrible format for photographs.
- It leaves behind a couple 3MB intermediate images.
But hopefully it gets you out of a pinch!